Friday, July 10, 2015

On Eating Weeds

One man's inedible is another man's delicacy.  In France there's escargot a.k.a. snails.  In Mexico there's Huitlacoche a.k.a. corn smut.  In Iceland there's Hákarl a.k.a. buried, fermented, and cured shark meat.  Now that we've got that in mind, I'm going to elaborate on the abundant, free food that I've been picking and eating this summer: weeds.  

As a preface I will recount a story.  When I was three or four years old, I got into a passionate argument with my cousin about the categorization of dandelions.  I was quite sure that a dandelion was a flower, but she insisted it was a weed.  Perhaps I have always supported these underdogs, weeds.  Here is another quote that I feel is the truest of true.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


On Eating Weeds


I don't particularly find eating salads very enjoyable, unless someone else fixes them...I don't know why.  So, I drink my leafy greens in a smoothie almost every day.  My kale, red lettuce, and pok choy stash ran out yesterday, so I helped myself to the abundant weedy backyard.  

Not all weeds are edible, but many are.  Some even taste good.  At worst they are bitter and fibrous, but when liquefied with fruit and sometimes cocoa powder, these characteristics are barely noticeable.  Not only are these weeds bountiful and free, they are also loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and even protein.  

Here are the weed leaves that I've been harvesting and their flavor profiles:  
Dandelion - bitter
Wild Violet - mild like spinach
Wood Sorrel - tart and lemony
Lambs Quarters - mild like spinach
Broadleaf Plantain - mild to bitter
Stinging Nettle - mild like spinach, but pick and wash them while wearing gloves!
Wild Lettuce - bitter

Please be sure that you know how to correctly identify any plants that you are planning on consuming.  Avoid picking in areas where it's polluted, by roadsides, by fire hydrants, where pesticides or lawn "care" sprays are applied, and commonly tread-on spaces.  Also don't eat the same weed daily.  Mix it up to get varied nutrients.

Another way to get your greens is to buy root vegetables like radishes, turnips, beets and carrots with their tops on.  Often we discard the leafy bits, but they are entirely edible.  Here is a complete list of plants with secondary edible parts.  

More on green smoothies in the near future.  Goodbye for now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment