Wednesday, July 8, 2015

About those rules...

It didn't occur to me until today that yesterday when I mentioned the 30 Day No-Spend Challenge, I didn't set you up with any ground rules.  Slightly important...  The video that inspired my attempt at this challenge is one by Talk Raw.  I like Rachel's thoughtful rules as well as her reasons for promoting this challenge.  She recited one of my favorite quotes, "Necessity is the mother of invention."  I believe in this statement wholeheartedly.  It is one of the truest statements that I know.  


Photo Credit - Mummy Central

Below is a list of rules that are based from Rachel's suggestions.  I've added on a few to get more specific.  These rules are more like guidelines or suggestions.  You may pick the ones that work best for you, but try to push yourself.  You will find that you are more adaptable than you think.  

1.  No stockpiling allowed.  Begin where you are right now.

2.  Do pay your usual monthly bills: mortgage/rent, utilities, internet/phone, childcare, loan payments, credit card bills, etc.  Not paying those could cause you to lose even more money.  That is not the objective here. 

3.  You may buy gas for essential transportation, but no road trips or frivolous outings.  Try biking or walking more to cut down on gas usage.  

4.  The Food: No eating out or take out.  Cooking at home is so much more economical.  Pack your lunches.  Try to use the food you have at home first before going out to buy more.  This calls for some googling, brainstorming, and creativity which can lead to happy accidents and new favorite meals.  

5.  Toiletries & Cleaning Products:  Only buy the absolute necessities or try making your own with the ingredients that you already have on hand.  The uses of baking soda and vinegar are seemingly infinite.  I will post more about this subject in the near future.  

6.  No buying clothes, shoes, home goods, or furniture.  Borrowing, trading, and bartering is encouraged.  

7.  No Starbucks.  Make coffee at home instead for pennies and I'm not talking Keurig here.

8.  Only free entertainment allowed.  No going to the theater, to a game, to a theme park unless it's free.  Keep an eye out for free events in your city, go for a hike, pack a picnic, fill a time capsule, make up your own treasure hunt complete with treasure map.... 

9.  No impulse buys in general.  This includes but is not limited to make-up, magazines, gum, candy, vending machine snacks and sodas, etc.  Example: when my humble chocolate stash runs out, I won't be buying more until the 30 days have passed.  Some may argue that chocolate is a necessity - and some days it totally is - but unless you are trapped on a desert island with the option of chocolate or grass, chocolate isn't vital.  And when I run out of cereal, crackers, and graham crackers (my go-to snacks for their magnificent crunch factor), I won't be buying more.  I only eat them when I want something sweet or salty and need to crunch on something, not usually because I'm hungry.  I will deal with my psychological need to crunch when that day comes.  

To help stay motivated, keep track of how much money you would have spent so that you can see tangible figures of how much you are saving.  

Let me know your thoughts on these "rules" and if you have any additional rule suggestions.  
Baby steps is walking none the less.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment