Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Greetings! Welcome. I offer you a challenge.

Hello stumblers upon, passers by, et al.  My name is Sarah.

I don't know about you, but I have an itch.  An itch, a stir, an insatiable buzzing that gives me the sensation that something is amiss.

I wasn't going to write a blog.  I've blogged before.  I wrote loyally in a journal for 10 years and trickled off my writing for another three.  I even had a sweet gig as a food writer for a couple of years.  As frustrating as writing can be at times, it has been the most consistent form of self expression throughout my life.  And so it goes again.

I will elaborate as the pages turn, but let's start here - on a physical level, monetarily speaking.

I came across an alluring challenge on YouTube entitled the 30 Day No-Spend Challenge.  Money is not everything, being the root of all evil and such, but it weighs heavily on us none the less.  How many decisions do you make that relate to or stem from money?  It's socially ingrained in us to want more, "need' more, more and more and more.  Not just money, but stuff.  All kinds of stuff.  Stuff that we didn't even know that we "wanted".  How do you know if you really want something?  Is it even a good thing to want?

Let's journey together, beginning with money, to figure out how to use less of it whilst living a full and happy life.  Simplicity is the answer.  Let's walk towards simplicity together, at our own pace, in our own time.  Together.  Better yet, let's make a game of it.

I'll show and tell first.

Today was my first no-spend day.  My ever-aching sweet tooth began to pulsate after lunch and the many hours following.  What I wanted was some chocolate.  A good substantial chunk of chocolate.  But I reminded myself that this was Day 1.  So I fixed a cup of tea with sugar and didn't spend a cent.

Another needless yet delicious item I've been craving for a few days now is halva, a sesame seed or sunflower seed based block of sugary, Russian goodness.


This lovely photo was taken by Still Served Warm.  Their description of this unusual treat is spot on.  The only flavor comparison that I can match to halva is peanut brittle with added subtle, warm spices.  The texture is hard to describe, but I'll go.  It's crumbly, almost like a dry paste that dissolves into a nutty grit on the tongue.  It's sweet and nutty and RICH.  Sometimes dotted with other nuts and dried fruit.  My Estonian friend turned me on to it.  Evil woman.

So no chocolate or halva purchases for me today or for the next 29 days.  My wallet and my body probably thank me for it.

Let's do this again tomorrow.  Let me know how you go.  Good luck and thanks for keeping me honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment