Friday, August 14, 2015

Oil Change - The 3,000 Mile Myth!

I think we can all agree that our modern vehicles are pretty dang sweet.  They have become, for the passengers at least, a moving living room of sorts with DVD players and TV screens.  There are heated seats, automatic defrosting windows, push-button ignitions, GPS, exterior proximity sensors, etc.  We've come a long way from that old Model T.  Suffice it to say, so has our motor oil.


Not sure about you but, I tack up lots of miles with my commute to and from work.  I found myself getting an oil change every two months.  I got pretty sick of spending an afternoon in the waiting rooms of auto shops which invariably - no matter where I go - will be screening trashy, daytime talk shows like Maury etc. 

That 3,000 mile oil change rule isn't a rule.  It's more like a bad suggestion.  With modern vehicles and new advances in motor oil, we don't need to change our oil that often.  To do so is just more money in the pockets of oil companies and auto shops, and not to mention harder on the environment.  Here is a great article describing this in more detail.  Save yourself the money and hassle by waiting until 8,000-10,000 miles to get your oil changed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment